BOLTON WANDERERS SCOOP BARCLAYS AWARDS DOUBLE
– Duo rewarded after impressive performances during November –
Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle and striker Johan Elmander have been rewarded for their run of unbeaten matches in November by being named the Barclays Manager and Player of the Month.
Coyle receives the Barclays Manager of the Month award for the first time after guiding his side to three wins and two draws that saw The Trotters rise to 6th place in the Barclays Premier League.
Front man Elmander has found his feet in English football under the management of Coyle and his Barclays Player of the Month Award is also a career first. The imposing Swede scored three goals and created another three in November, including a skillful solo effort in the 3-2 win at Wolves.
Bolton set the tone for the month with a fantastic 4-2 win at home to Tottenham Hotspur, and followed this up with a 1-1 draw against Everton and a close-fought 3-2 away win over Wolves which included Elmander`s memorable strike.
Coyle`s men then beat Newcastle United 5-1 in a phenomenal display at the Reebok Stadium with two more goals for Elmander, and finished November by recovering from 2-0 down to draw with Blackpool.
The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football`s governing bodies, the media and fans.
OWEN COYLE: BARCLAYS MANAGER OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER:
· Owen Coyle was born on 14th July 1966 in Paisley, Scotland
· Coyle began his playing career at Scottish League side Dumbarton in 1985
· In 1988 he joined Clydebank, but in March 1990 transferred to Airdrieonians – a move which saw Coyle score a hat-trick on his debut and go on to finish as the Scottish League`s top scorer for 1989-1990
· In 1993 the club he would later lead, Bolton Wanderers, signed Coyle giving him a brief chance to play in the Premier League once The Trotters were promoted. However, in October 1995, a transfer took him to Dundee United
· Upon retiring from playing, Coyle managed Falkirk and St. Johnstone before heading to then Championship side Burnley. In his first full season in charge, Burnley won promotion to the Barclays Premier League
· In January 2010, Coyle was appointed as manager of Bolton Wanderers
JOHAN ELMANDER: BARCLAYS PLAYER OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER:
· Johan Elmander was born on 27th May 1981 in Alingsas, Sweden
· Elmander started his professional career at Swedish clubs HolmalundsIF and Örgryte, before making the move to Dutch club Feyenoord at the age of 18
· Between 2002-2004 Elmander returned to Swedish football playing on loan for Djurgarens IF and NAC Breda
· Shortly after, Elmander moved to Brøndby, where he scored 22 goals in 58 Danish Superliga games, attracting the attention of several clubs throughout Europe. He was also called up to represent Sweden at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he played two games
· Elmander signed a four-year contract with French side Toulouse in July 2006 where he scored 11 goals in his first season
· In June 2008, Elmander signed a three-year deal with Barclays Premier League club Bolton Wanderers